Youth VISUAL Arts
ARTspot Youth Art Classes
Art discoverers art basics
Young artists will explore the creative process through painting, paper cut-outs, printmaking, and drawing. Strong emphasis on self-expression and discovery. Ages 5-9.
ART DISCOVERERS CLAY SCULPT
Push it, pound it, squeeze it and roll it. Come and discover what you can create with clay. Pinch and coil construction techniques will be taught. Don’t miss out on the fun! 12 lbs. of clay, glaze, and kiln firing provided. Ages 6-9.
HEY KIDS, GET YOUR PAINT ON
Enjoy a fun filled afternoon of painting and visiting with friends. In this one day class you will create your very own masterpiece and have a great time with friends. All supplies included. Space is limited so enroll early to reserve your spot. Ages 10-15.
friends & family day: national coloring book day
Join us to celebrate National Coloring Book Day 2020! We’ll have a variety of coloring activities (big & small) for friends and family of all ages. Come, make art, see an exhibit of completed coloring pages by community members, vote for your favorites - we’ll even have prizes for the most creative pages. Grab some lunch from your favorite food trucks and explore the new Hubbard Arts Center.
Summer art CREATION CAMPs
Art comes to life for kids this summer. Explore the world of art with creative hands-on projects and new themes each week. Sign up for one, four-day week classes, or all eight weeks! $32 per week.
Ages 3-5; Mon-Thurs; 9:00am-9:50am
Ages 5-9; Mon-Thurs; 10:00am-11:30am
Ages 10-15; Mon-Thurs; 12:30pm-2:00pm
young artists drawing foundations
Young artists will learn basic drawing techniques using media such as charcoal, graphite, and oil bars. Students will experiment with a variety of drawing techniques including: blending, hatchings, and scribbling while learning proportion, scale and creating three-dimensional images. We’ll work from still-life and photographic source materials. Ages 10-15.
young artists painting techniques
Basic painting techniques using acrylic and watercolor paints. Students will experiment with a variety of techniques including; underpainting, overpainting, blocking and drybrushing. We’ll work from still-life and photographic source materials. Ages 10-15.
YOUNG ARTISTS POTTER’S WHEEL
The basics of wheel thrown pottery will be covered in this hands-on class for young artists. Class size is limited to the number of wheels available in the art center, so please register early to ensure availability. 25 lbs. of clay, glazes and kiln firing provided. Ages 10-15.
Benefits of Arts Education
Source: Americans for the Arts, 2002.
- Stimulates and develops the imagination and critical thinking, and refines cognitive and creative skills.
- Has a tremendous impact on the developmental growth of every child and has proven to help level the "learning field" across socio-economic boundaries.
- Strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, adding to overall academic achievement and school success.
- Develops a sense of craftsmanship, quality task performance, and goal-setting—skills needed to succeed in the classroom and beyond.
- Teaches children life skills such as developing an informed perception; articulating a vision; learning to solve problems and make decisions; building self-confidence and self-discipline; developing the ability to imagine what might be; and accepting responsibility to complete tasks from start to finish.
- Nurtures important values, including team-building skills; respecting alternative viewpoints; and appreciating and being aware of different cultures and traditions.