Youth VISUAL Arts
ARTspot Youth Art Classes
Benefits of Arts Education
Source: Americans for the Arts, 2002.
- Stimulates and develops the imagination and critical thinking, and refines cognitive and creative skills.
- Has a tremendous impact on the developmental growth of every child and has proven to help level the "learning field" across socio-economic boundaries.
- Strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, adding to overall academic achievement and school success.
- Develops a sense of craftsmanship, quality task performance, and goal-setting—skills needed to succeed in the classroom and beyond.
- Teaches children life skills such as developing an informed perception; articulating a vision; learning to solve problems and make decisions; building self-confidence and self-discipline; developing the ability to imagine what might be; and accepting responsibility to complete tasks from start to finish.
- Nurtures important values, including team-building skills; respecting alternative viewpoints; and appreciating and being aware of different cultures and traditions.
Click TO REGISTER FOR youth art CLASSES LISTED BELOW
Art discoverers art basics
Young artists will explore the creative process through painting, paper cut-outs, printmaking, and drawing. Strong emphasis on self-expression and discovery. Ages 5-9.
ART DISCOVERERS CLAY SCULPT
Push it, pound it, squeeze it and roll it. Come and discover what you can create with clay. Pinch and coil construction techniques will be taught. Don't miss out on the fun! 12 lbs. of clay, glaze, and kiln firing provided. Ages 6-9.
Cosplay COSTUME creation workshop series
Learn to construct a cosplay costume from scratch! From research, to material, to construction, and makeup. You will learn it all in our new workshop series! Location: Derby Middle School E-16. Ages 12 and older!
HAUNTED ACTOR'S STUDIO
Youth actors will be given the opportunity to learn new methods of acting, as well as hone skills they already possess, in a one act play. Performance will be on last day of class at the Derby Public Library Community Room on November 11 & 13.
HEY KIDS, GET YOUR PAINT ON
Enjoy a fun filled afternoon of painting and visiting with friends. In this one day class you will create your very own masterpiece and have a great time with friends. All supplies included. Space is limited so enroll early to reserve your spot. Classes take place at Park Grounds Coffee House, located at 401 E. Madison Ave. Ages 10-15.
HOMESCHOOL CREATION LAB
Supplement your homeschool curriculum with an in-depth exploration of design, structure and form. Our instructor will lead students through the fundamental principles of design while they build their skills using drawing, painting, printmaking, and ceramic media. There will be a strong emphasis on individual self-expression and discovery. This is a process-focused curriculum. Ages 8-15.
SCHOOLS OUT ART CAMP
Join us for one or multiple day camps while school is out. Create art in many different ways. Ages 6-14.
10/11: Action Art - Art in motion
10/24: Out of this World - Create space oriented art
10/25: Ready, Set, Glow - Florescent art
11/1: Wearable Art - A fashion designers dream
11/11: You Build It - Unique sculpture
YOUNG ARTISTS DRAWING AND PAINTING
Young artists will learn techniques of both drawing and painting using graphite, charcoal, oil bars, acrylic and watercolor paints with both still-life and photographic source materials. We will also learn how to mat and frame artwork for presentation as time allows. Ages 10-15.
YOUNG ARTISTS POTTER'S WHEEL
The basics of wheel thrown pottery will be covered in this hands-on class for young artists. Class size is limited to the number of wheels available in the art center, so please register early to ensure availability. 25 lbs. of clay, glazes and kiln firing provided. Ages 10-15.
YOUNG artist sculpture
Young artists will learn how to create art that comes out of the page. Using various sculptural materials (wire, plaster, clay, and paper mache) and techniques you will turn your 2 dimensional ideas into 3 dimensional objects. Ages 10-15.